Are you pregnant and concerned that an appointment to the dentist will lead to a harmful situation for you or your child?
In the past, this has been a common issue for many women. Should they have a dental procedure during pregnancy? Will the dentist treat them?
These concerns are outdated and you should still enjoy proper dental care.
It’s OK, You Don’t Have to Skip that Dental Visit!
Due to hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy, skipping a trip to the dentist can make you more susceptible to periodontal disease and gingivitis. When pregnant, a mother with active tooth decay has the potential to spread harmful bacteria to her child. This can easily be avoided with a quick trip to your dentist!
By following established guidelines, you can receive many standard dental services offered by your dental health care provider. If possible, try to schedule a dental visit prior to becoming pregnant. This preventive exam can lower the chance of an issue occurring during your pregnancy.
Dental Tips During Pregnancy
- As a precaution, it is recommended that routine visits should be scheduled during the second trimester and if necessary you can postpone elective treatments until after delivery
- Note any changes to your gums and consult your dental care provider to determine if treatment may be necessary
- Choose a healthy, balanced diet. Remember to encourage healthy development by including dairy products such as cheese and yogurt. Avoid sugary foods if possible
- Take a pillow to help you stay comfortable during your visit
Things to Consider
- Ask your OB-GYN to check your oral cavity during your checkup. If there is an issue, your practitioner can probably refer you to a great dentist who understands your situation
- When scheduling your visit, it may be best to have a doctors note from your OB-GYN. Your dental provider probably won’t need prior approval, but it never hurts to have a release from your doctor
- Know your health history and review all medication and vitamins that you may be taking with your dentist. This is the best way to avoid adverse reactions to medication or anesthesia
Don’t Wait to Visit the Dentist During Pregnancy, Give us a Call!
At Beavers Caring Family Dentistry, we want to help you establish safe practices that contribute to a healthy lifestyle for you and your family. Contact us or call 919-467-0654 today and ask us how we can help you remain healthy during your pregnancy.