Whitening your teeth has many confidence-boosting and professional benefits. No matter your purpose for whitening, a variety of techniques can improve the color of your teeth to the same cosmetic shade.
Over the Counter Teeth Whitening Options
- Whitening toothpastes: These toothpastes typically scrub the stains off your teeth with harsher ingredients,
rather than bleaching the pigment of your teeth to be a whiter color. The benefit of whitening toothpaste is that
it is inexpensive and easily incorporated into your daily routine. The toothpaste is also less likely to cause sensitivity than other methods.
- White strips: White strips are a popular way to brighten your teeth in 1-2 weeks. A peroxide solution whitens your teeth in controlled doses, or strips. It is important to follow instructions on the box carefully and avoid leaving the strips on for too long.
- Over the counter trays: Most whitening trays use carbamide peroxide to whiten teeth, which can be used daily for about a week. Purchasing over the counter means that these trays will not be a perfect fit, but they will still give you the same whitening benefits.
In-office Teeth Whitening
- In-office systems: Visiting your dentist in his or her office for whitening means that you get fast and effective results. High concentrations of hydrogen peroxide can be applied, as you are being safely monitored by a professional throughout the process. Barriers can also be applied to protect your gums and soft tissues. This process can take about 2 hours.
- Custom fit trays: Your dentist may also offer trays custom fit to your teeth. Like other trays, you will fill these with a peroxide solution. The custom trays are also more comfortable than over the counter options.
Additional Factors to Consider
Remember that teeth whitening treatments (aside from toothpaste) are temporary, and it is important to carefully follow instructions to avoid pain and sensitivity. If you are interested in tooth bonding, the risen composite might not bond to your teeth for about 10 days after bleaching. We also do not recommend that pregnant or lactating women bleach their teeth.
If you are a Cary NC resident interested in tooth whitening, contact Beavers Family Dentistry at (919) 467-0654. We offer a range of cosmetic services to enhance your smile’s natural beauty!